Director of Engineering, Santa Ana, CA
The Director of Engineering for the energy sector directs activities of engineering and design for gas and electric utility projects and programs assuring that the services provided are adequate, safe, and reliable.
- Directs engineering personnel in formulating plans, designs, cost estimates, and specifications for construction of electric and gas regulating, metering and compressor facilities, electric transmission lines, gas pipelines and gas distribution systems.
- Reviews designs for technical accuracy and quality
- Applies utility knowledge to coordinate work of engineers engaged in gas pipelines, gas and electric utility facilities, pole reloading and replacement
- Works with internal/external personnel to ensure project status meets deadlines and budgets
- Adheres to customer requirements, specifications, and codes
- Responsible for team coordination, project assignments, quality control, development of group policies and procedures, training, and annual performance reviews.
- Works with the director of projects and the assigned project engineers and project managers to prepare cost estimates and proposals for new work and establish the scope, budget and schedule for each project.
- Selects and assigns a team of engineers and/or designers that are appropriate for each project.
- Oversees the engineering and design work to ensure work is completed on schedule and within budget.
- Ensures that the assigned projects are completed safely, producing a quality product that is in accordance with governing codes, agencies and client requirements, as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Ensures compliance with the QA/QC process and consistent completion of a top-quality work product.
- Interfaces with the assigned project engineer and project manager to complete the assigned work within schedule and budget.
- Attends meetings with clients, subcontractors, vendors and governing agencies as required.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of department and company goals.
- Identifies and implements improvements in processes and operations to control costs and improve productivity.
- Prepares and updates department procedures.
- Participates in special projects or tasks as required.
- Reports progress in achieving the required work scope to the sector leaders on a regular basis.
- Tracks and reports schedule and budget status.
- Initiates trends and submits change orders to the project manager when appropriate.
- With input from the project manager, project engineer and director of projects, conducts annual performance reviews of the engineering and design team members.
- Arranges for training and continuing education courses for group members.
Knowledge and Critical Skills/Expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical, mechanical or related field required
- P.E. license in the State of California
- 15 plus years of experience including minimum of 5 leading utility design teams
- Strong knowledge of utility standards and manuals
- Strong knowledge of 49 CFR, ANSI, ASME, NEC and other governing codes and standards.
- Understanding of electrical power requirements for gas and electric facilities and interface with utilities
- Ability to interact successfully and communicate effectively.
Cordoba Corporation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements,
Cordoba Corporation expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
If you need special assistance or accommodation, please contact Cordoba Corporations HR Department at: (213) 895-0224.
We strongly believe in making a difference—for our clients, our communities, and ourselves. As such, we seek the best in our employees. In turn, we offer a competitive compensation package including: medical, dental, and vision insurances, life insurance, paid holiday, vacation, and sick days, and a 401 (k) retirement plan.